Saturday, October 29, 2016

Bucket List

This past summer I invited my cousin Rebecca over to my house for dinner and a movie. During dinner, Rebecca and I discussed things that we would like to add to our bucket list. Rebecca mentioned she would love to do something thrilling such as skydiving because she is adventurous. I revealed that I had never been to a live concert before. Rebecca immediately got up in the middle of dinner and purchased concert tickets for us! I was surprised by my cousin’s spontaneous reaction but I was also excited to complete a goal from my bucket list.We went to see salsa singer Marc Anthony at Radio City Music Hall. His performance was noteworthy. He sang with a live band and his voice was amazing. He opened with the song “Aguanile.” Then he surprised us by bringing his father out on stage for a duet. The duet with his father was a heartfelt performance. Marc Anthony ended the concert with an encore of my favorite song “Vivir Mi Vida.” 


What do you have in your bucket list?

Vocabulary:

bucket list (noun) – a list of things you want to do before you die
thrilling (adjective) – very exciting
skydiving (noun) – jump from an airplane with a parachute
adventurous (adjective) – willing to do dangerous or exciting things
revealed (verb, past tense) – make something known
spontaneous (adjective) - unplanned or done on impulse
goal (noun) – something you are trying to do or achieve
noteworthy (adjective) – deserving of attention
encore (noun) – repeated performance



Vocabulary Exercise:Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word.

1.  Marc Anthony is known for delivering ______ performances.
2. ______ people enjoy participating in dangerous and _______activities.
3.  After a standing ovation the audience screamed for an_______.
4. We were surprised when Marc Anthony_______that his guest performer was his father.
5. People have to wear parachutes when they go_______.
6. I always like to plan upcoming events but I needed to be_______in order to accomplish a ______ from my ______.
 

Grammar Point:

The past tense tells about something that has already happened. Regular past tense verbs end in ed. For example, invited and revealed are regular past tense verbs from the passage above. Find at least three more regular past tense verbs from the passage. Write three sentence using the three regular past tense verbs you find.  


             Marc Anthony's Live Performance of Aguanile





2 comments:

  1. I really like your grammar point because you defined what the past tense is and then gave two examples from your passage. I think that it was an excellent idea to incorporate a music video of Marc Anthony's so that those students who are unfamiliar with his music and the genre can see who he is and actually listen to a piece of his music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! And what a great thing your cousin did. Marc Anthony is very talented. I have been to some concerts (James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Billy Joel, The Who, and Sting), but I haven't seen Marc Anthony.

    ReplyDelete